National LED Light Day
Today is National LED Light Day. We thought we would dedicate this post to the history of LED lighting and the day, plus a few of our favourites.
LEDs were created in the early 1960s and only produced red coloured light by Nick Holonyak, Jr. Other colours were added as science approved, but the blue LED light was harder to reproduce due to the shorter wavelength. It was originally back in 1907 that a gentleman named Captain Henry Joseph Round who was an English engineer, was the first to report light emission from a solid state diode – so LED lighting has come a long way since it was first discovered.
It wasn’t until 1976 that the first ‘high’ brightness LED was invented by T P Pearsall that could be used in fibre optic telecommunications. The discovery of blue LED was a more effective way of producing white light, but the first ones produced were highly expensive and not commercially viable.
The origins of the National Day started on October 7th, 2014. Isamu Asakim, Horishi Amano and Shuji Nakamura received the Nobel Prize in Physics for the development of blue light-emitting diodes for LED. This helped lead the next generation of LED lightbulbs which can produce a large amount of light and have a longer shelf life.
Why are LEDs so popular?
LED lights are energy efficient and use up to 90% less electricity. They can produce higher quality light and usually have a longer lifespan than other light sources such as Halogen, meaning less money and time spent on maintenance and replacement – so a win-win really!
Looking back at the history of LED lighting, it really has grown tremendously since it was first discovered. Now we have motion sensor lights as well as various LED solutions from floodlights, bulbs to outdoor cameras.
We've hand picked a variety of LED products including fun and creative strip lights, smartphone controlled lighting as well as a handy night light for little ones. Take a look below!
- Simple plug-in
- LED auto sensor that automatically switches night light on at dusk, and off at dawn
- Average life of 30,000 hours
- Change colour temperature from warm white to daylight white
- RGB halo light
- Supplied with three bezels
- Smart phone controlled
- Suitable for bathrooms
- Unique design
- Change colour with music as well as other selections
- 16 million colours to choose
- Panels can be added to create own unique lighting
- Smart phone enabled
- Internal diffused coating for 320 ° light output
- Energy saving with low power consumption
- LED starter included for direct retrofit into single battens
- Versatile lighting, ideal for signage or feature lighting
- 3M self-adhesive backing
- Remote control allows colour change, dimming and strobe
- IP65 rated for outdoor use
- Ideal for work and emergency lighting
- Emergency function that automatically illuminates in event of power cut
- Can be mounted on walls or in vehicles
- USB socket to charge tablets and phones